Hello. So, here is the second part to the weekend detox. I know quite a few of you having been waiting for this part. Thank you all for making my blog a success!
Here is the list of receipts that you can use during the weekend detox:
Lentils are rich in protein, and an excellent source of iron, & vitamin B’s. The vegetables help your body eliminate waste products and it taste great!
1 onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed 1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground turmeric 1 tsp ground chile
2 1/2 cups of vegetable stock 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/2-in (1-cm) slices 1 head broccoli, divided into florets
2 sticks celery, sliced 2 carrots, peeled and chopped 115g (4 oz) red or green lentils
2 zucchini, sliced juice of 1 lemon black pepper 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1. Put the onion, garlic, spices, and half the stock in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cover, then bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, until the onions and garlic are translucent. Stir in the celery, carrots, bell pepper, and fennel, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes.
2. Stir the broccoli, lentils, zucchini, and lemon juice and add the rest of the stock. Season with black pepper, then cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
3. Stir the fresh herbs just before serving, and add a pinch of sea salt if necessary. Serve with brown rice.
This classic medley of Mediterranean flavors are loaded with vitamins and antibacterial essential oils which are good for the system and taste delicious!
2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into fourths handful of shredded basil leaves
leaves from a few sprigs of each of thyme, marjoram, and oregano 2tsp olive oil
2 tbsp vegetable stock 1 onion, very thinly sliced 3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 eggplants, diced 3 zucchini, sliced 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
black pepper handful of chopped flatleaf parsley
1. Place the bell peppers under a hot broiler and boil, skin-side up, until the skin begins to char. Leave to cool slightly, then peel and cut into chunks.
2. Heat the vegetable stock and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the eggplants and zucchini, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Mix in the red bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for another minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and snip in the thyme, marjoram, and oregano leaves. Season with black pepper.
4. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes. Stir in the olive oil, parsley, and the basil and cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes until there is no surplus liquid.
Roasted Root Stew
Root vegetables are great for the immune system. Fennel helps to maintain hormone balance and rids the body of excess fluids
3 garlic cloves, peeled. 1 onion, cut into wedges. 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced. 1 butternut squash or small pumpkin, peeled and sliced
1fennel bulb, halved and sliced. 1sweet potato, peeled and sliced, 1tsp olive oil
1 1/4 cups vegetable stock. 1tbsp chopped fresh tarragon. Juice of one lemon
1tbsp whole-grain mustard. 1tbsp tomato paste. Black pepper ( I also put cayenne pepper)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Spread all the vegetables in a large roasting pan and pour over the oil and half the stock. Stir to
3. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally
4. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. In a bowl or measuring jug, mix the remaining stock
with the tarragon, mustard, tomato paste, lemon juice, and black pepper ( and a couple dashes
of cayenne for my taste). Stir into the vegetables and bake for about 15 minutes. Served with
brown rice or quinoa.
Spaghetti with Pecan Nuts & Herbs
Parsley is a good diuretic and garlic and basil are good for circulation and immune system
1/2 cup shelled pecan nuts. 2 tbsp vegetable stock. 2 garlic cloves, crushed. Black pepper ( & red)
1 red chile, seeded and finely sliced. 8 oz wheat and gluten free spaghetti
Handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped. 12 leaves fresh basil, shredded
1. Put pecan nuts in food processor or blender and grind roughly
2. Heat the vegetable stock in a pan and sauté the garlic, chile, and parsley for 1 minute. Add the
Nuts and continue stirring for about a minute, being careful not to let them burn. Season with
Black pepper ( & cayenne) and remove from heat. Mix in the basil leaves
3. Bring a pan of water to boil, them cook the spaghetti according to instructions.
4. Mix pecan mixture in thoroughly and transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Fennel & Orange Salad
This one stimulates the liver, improves fat digestion, and contain essential oils that help get rid of excess fluid.
1. 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
2. 1 Bulb Florence fennel, thinly sliced
3. 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
4. Juice of 1 orange
5. 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Arrange the orange slices in the bottom of a shallow dish. Place a layer of fennel on top and then add a layer of onion. Mix the orange juice with the vinegar and drizzle over the salad.
Spring Clean Salad
This salad works as a diuretic salad is good for relieving fluid retention.
1. 2 dessert apples, cored and diced
2. Juice of 1 lemon
3. Large chunk of watermelon, seeded and cubed
4. 1 Head of Belgian endive, sliced into rounds
5. 4 Sticks of celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
6. 1tbsp walnut oil
Core and dice the apples. Place in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice. Mix well to prevent discoloration. Add the rest of the fruit and vegetables to the bogland mix gently. Pour in the walnut oil and mix again….close your eyes and enjoy!
Squash & Cannellini Bean Soup
This nutritious soup is packed with the antioxidant vitamins
1. 1 Red bell pepper, halved and seeded
2. 4 cups vegetable stock
3. 1 Onion, finely chopped
4. 2 garlic cloves, crushed
5. 1 Butternut squash, peeled and diced
6. 1lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
7. 1tsp chopped sage
8. 1bay leaf
9. 11/2 cups canned Cannellini beans drained and rinsed
10. 1tsp olive oil
11. juice of 1/2 lemon
12. black pepper
1. Place the bell pepper skin-side upward under a very hot broiler until blackened. Place in a plastic bag and leave to cool slightly, then remove the skin and cut the bell pepper into very thin strips.
2. Heat a little of the stock in a large pan and gently saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until softened. Add the squash and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the red bell pepper, rest of the stock, and herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Remove the bay leaf. Add the beans, olive oil, and lemon juice and season with black pepper. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then serve hot.
Fresh Fruit Salad
This colorful salad is simply bursting with vitamins and antioxidants. This delicious meal serves 4
1. ripe mango or papaya, or 2 peaches or nectarines
2. 1 pineapple
3. 2 kiwifruit
4. 4 large strawberries, cut into fourths
5. 1 cup each of green and black seedless grapes
6. juice of 1 lemon
7. 4 tbsp apple juice
1. Prepare the fruit by peeling the mango, pineapple, and kiwifruit over a large bowl to collect the juices. Silver the fruit into bowl. Add the strawberries.
2. Halve the grapes into the bowl.
3. Pour over the lemon juice and apple juice and mix gently. Refrigerate for several hours to let the juices combine.
Fresh Fruit Muesli
Great combination of anitoxidant vitamins, protein, and essential fatty acids.
1. 4 oz (115g) fresh fruit (e.g. apples, strawberries, peaches, apricots)
2. 1 tbsp oatmeal flakes, presoaked
3. 1 tbsp water
4. handful chopped filberts
1. Wash the fresh fruit and trim as necessary.
2. Mix in the cereal base and water.
3. Sprinkle with chopped filberts
Apple, Carrot, & Cucumber Juice
This drink is loaded with antioxidants and soluble fiber, and the diuretic properties of cucumber and carrot help with relieving fluid retention.
1. 1 apple, unpeeled, cored, and chopped
2. 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
3. 1/2 cucumber, chopped
Place the ingredients in a juicer or blender process and enjoy !
The above are just samples of what you can use for the weekend detox. I will post the final part to this weekend detox later today. Please let me know if you have any questions. This would be perfect for Mother’s Day weekend!